The Wings for Val Foundation was founded in memory of LT Valerie Cappealere Delaney, a Navy fighter pilot who perished during a training mission on March 11, 2013 at the age of 26 years old. At her funeral, what started as a simple idea by a few of her friends to leave their pilot’s wings with Val at Arlington turned into an enormous response from nearly 200 fellow female aviators from all over the world. This inspired Val’s family to start the Wings for Val Foundation as a way to carry on Val’s legacy. We provide scholarships to women pursuing careers in aviation and hope to inspire young girls to spread their own wings in any career field using stories of Val and of all the women aviators who gave their wings.
To promote and support women pursuing careers in aviation, and to inspire future generations of female leaders to spread their wings and let their dreams take flight!
Women will become empowered leaders who reach forward for mentorship, who reach back to support and inspire those behind them, and who rise above adversity with the mindset to “Adapt and Overcome.” Just like the V-shaped flight formation of birds and jets, women can fly further when they fly together.
Allison Righter, President
Doreen Cappelaere, Treasurer
Pat Cappelaere, Chairman
Caroline Desroches, Secretary
Cecilia Paizs, Legal Counsel
We proudly recognize our strategic partner organizations, corporate sponsors and individual donors for their generosity and commitment to our mission.
Special Thanks To
- Our advisory committee of Val’s closest friends and fellow female servicewomen who embody the strong leadership qualities and fearlessness that we hope to pass on to future generations of young women
- Madison Murr & Jess Atkinson of 3 Penny Films for videography services
- David Owens, Visionary Media Productions
- Dustin Watson and Devin Watson for graphics/web design support
- Courtney Spencer for logo design
- Julie Hansen for brochure, graphics/illustration work
- Lisa Hawkins for PR assistance